Prescription Ordering Service (POD)
If you are on long-term medication you can order repeat prescriptions by telephoning the Prescription Ordering Direct service (POD) on 0300 131 1100.
Your details will be checked and your prescription processed and sent electronically to the surgery for authorisation.
Once authorised the prescription will be sent electronically to the Pharmacy of your choice.
This service is provided by Dartford, Gravesham & Swanley Clinical Commissioning Group.
*Please note - if you are dispensing patient, you should continue to order your repeats in the usual way, either online if you are registerd or by handing in the computerised repeat slip*
What is the Electronic Prescription Service (EPS)?
EPS is an NHS-funded service in England. It gives you the chance to change how your GP sends your prescription to the healthcare professional you choose to get your medication or appliances from.
What does this mean for you?
- If you currently collect your repeat prescriptions from your GP, you will not have to visit your GP practice to pick up your paper prescription. Instead, your GP will send it electronically to the pharmacy, saving you time.
- You can choose where to get your medication from because it can be collected from a pharmacy near where you live, work or shop.
- You may also not have to wait as long at the pharmacy as there will be more time for your repeat prescriptions to be prepared
- To download a nomination form which you can fill out and bring into either the surgery or your nominated chemist click here
*Please note - if you are dispensing patient, this will not affect you*
Repeat Medication/Dispensing of Medication – The Rules in Brief
- Please allow at least 3 full working days for your routine repeat prescription
- Please allow longer if you are requesting something that is not on repeat
- Please take note of reminders to book a medication review or this will also delay your prescription
- Please book your medication review in good time. A ‘routine’ consultation slot is all that is necessary
- Please put your medication request into the dispensary in good time - our staff has very high volumes of requests to deal with
- The dispensing/reception staff will not disturb a GP who is in Surgery to get a prescription signed because you have left it too late and have run out of medication - you will be asked to return later the same day or the following day
- Thank you to all our patients who put their requests into dispensary in a timely fashion
Repeat prescriptions will be issued at the doctor's discretion via our dispensary. Requests should be made using computer-printed repeat slips. Please allow three full working days before collection and make an extra allowance for weekends and public holidays or if there are any queries around non-repeat medication being requested as this takes longer to sort out. Repeat requests can be made by post if you wish your prescription to be posted to you - please enclose a stamped addressed envelope (but allow longer for this). We now offer electronic prescription services where you can nominate a chemist (if you are not a dispensing patient) for your repeat prescriptions to be automatically sent to.
Patients will be required to see their GP at least once a year for a review of their repeat medication. Patients are asked to book their medication review two weeks ahead as soon as they are informed via their repeat slip that a medication review is due, this ensures that urgent slots are not taken up for 'non urgent' issues. If you do not arrange this in good time, you will be at risk of running out of your medication as the GP cannot keep reissuing the medication without reviewing the patient. Please do not leave booking your review until the ‘last minute’ as you may find there are no suitable appointment slots available. A routine appointment is all that is required. Please let your doctor know if you are taking any other medication not prescribed by us, i.e. over the counter medication, herbal remedies, vitamin or health supplements or medication prescribed and dispensed for you by a hospital.
A repeat request post box is located in the dispensary waiting area. There is also a post box in Devon Road when the surgery is closed.
Patients living more than 1.6km from their nearest chemist can collect medication from our dispensary but must register for this service. Requests for repeat medications are made in the same way as for repeat prescriptions.
REQUEST REPEAT PRESCRIPTIONS ONLINE
If you wish to be able to request repeat prescriptions online as well you would need to give us a ring at the surgery and we can activate this part of online services for you.
To access this service please register for the service by contacting Reception and telling them you would like to register for online services